I have discussed dangerous dogs, but what about the owners? Who would turn these monsters loose amongst us? They know the breed history, they know the controversy, in most cases they even know first hand what their mauler is capable of (killing cats, chasing the mail carrier, etc…). They torment us regularly with useless, noxious noise. They cover our land with feces. What is up with these people?
Due to the “dog loophole” that explicitly or implicitly allows dog owners to create mayhem, dog ownership has become little more than legally backed thuggery. As per my “Assault is legal” post, you CAN assault others, destroy property, and create unlimited noise pollution with your dog.
There was a shooting death near me a couple of months ago. A dog owner killed a neighbor who had complained about his dog. Here is the cast of characters and the particulars:
- Paul Miller. Dog owner. Dog had been noted to bark loudly and frequently.
- Dana Mulhall. Neighbor to dog owner with uselessly barking dog. Had complained to Miller about the barking dog multiple times.
- Properties between the two was divided by a fence.
- Miller shot Mulhall dead after Mulhall had shouted over the fence to “shut your F—king dog up”. I’m not sure if those were the exact words used, but that was the spirit of the conversation anyway.
- Mulhall never crossed the fence line.
- Miller retreated into his home, retrieved his gun, went back outside and shot Mulhall FIVE times, including TWICE in the back.
- Miller then called 911 and announced that he “shot his F—king ass” with what was noted as a “cavalier attitude” by the 911 operator.
- Miller is now in jail awaiting trial for 2nd degree murder.
- Miller’s attorneys are claiming self defense under Florida’s “stand your ground” laws.
- More information on the case: http://flaglerlive.com/36943/paul-miller-bond-hearing/ and http://flaglerlive.com/35712/mulhall-shooting-murder/
First, let me get this out of the way. I am a gun owner, self defense activist, 2nd amendment supporter, NRA member and a general supporter of “stand your ground”. Without that, we are legally obligated to surrender to violent criminals. Who does that benefit?
With that said, I am sick and tired of misanthropes such as Miller claiming “self defense” when his “self” was not threatened in any way. Mulhall did NOT cross the property line, did NOT brandish any weapons, and was SHOT IN THE BACK. Miller was SAFE IN HIS HOME when he decided to KILL Mulhall. There is NO legitimate self defense scenario that involves shooting your “aggressor” IN THE BACK. FURTHER, Miller had been provoking Mulhall with the noxious noise of his uselessly barking dog. As, I noted in “Stop the torture”, barking dog noise IS torture method used by the military and law enforcement. Miller had been torturing Mulhall!
Yes, Mulhall was angry. I was, too, when I had explosively loud noises projected into my home by the malicious dog owner across the street. I could not work or sleep. Who would not be angry?
So why did Miller shoot Mulhall dead, including at least 2 shots in the back as Mulhall was trying to flee? I believe that Mulhall had made the deadly mistake of challenging Miller’s status as dog owner. How dare Mulhall complain about the explosively loud noises projected into his home? Didn’t Mulhall know that Miller OWNED him and could do whatever he wanted to him with his dog? Miller clearly expected Mulhall to be a compliant victim. Miller clearly believed that ANYONE who dared complain about his dog deserved to DIE. Miller believed he was empowered (entitled) to kill anyone who dared complain about his dog. I disagree with authorities that this was a murder: This was an EXECUTION. This was PRE MEDITATED and CAREFULLY EXECUTED. Literally!
I tell you, I have seen this rage first hand. Unlike Mulhall, I pursued the malicious dog owner across the street through authorities, and the dog owner in question flew into a foaming at the mouth, apoplectic, towering RAGE at me for DARING to suggest that they should not turn their dog loose in my yard to crap. Again, I challenged their status as dog owner…. How dare I suggest they keep their dog quiet and not crap in my yard? I must be the anti-Christ! Of course, authorities did absolutely nothing in my case (as they do in most cases). This did not stop my neighbor from ruthlessly slandering me throughout the community and screaming and cursing at me in my own front yard!!!
Miller deserves to burn, and he will. Dog owners take note: Your legal protection does NOT extend beyond offenses committed with your dog. You EXECUTE someone with a gun, claim spurious “self defense” you WILL go down. Count on it!