Here is a visual to go with the article under consideration:
While I take many issues with the BSL movement, I find this "takedown" unfair. Colleen as a Nazi... Really? Go for the Godwin Fail much? Look, you can take anything or anyone and do a Reductio Ad Hitlerum on it, but that does not necessarily make any sense. Hitler sat in chairs, so anyone who ever sat in a chair must be a Nazi, correct? Hitler slept in a bed, so all of you bed sleepers must belong to an evil Gestapo, and oven babies day and night! Mick Heil!
That said, the BSL movement does deserve some critique. A constructive critique. As I have noted many times, BSL is a perfectly legitimate arrangement. Pre-emption laws are stupid and hypocritical. Look, if I can't own chickens or goats, why the HELL do my neighbors get to keep a backyard full of 150 pound game bred fight dogs? OH, that would be because they are DOGS and everyone has to kiss their ass day and night.
So, what is wrong with the BSL movement? Quite frankly, your movement is a mess. The 2 cent version is, it lacks integrity. I say this generally and not categorically. Personally, I think that Colleen is the very best that the BSL movement has to offer.
I am going to write a series of articles on this, but leave off with a discussion document for now.
SO, how is the BSL movement a mess? Here is the short list of reasons. Longer explanations to follow.
1) The movement is DOGmatic and unflexible. Most of you will not consider any reforms other than a ban. You ignore all statistics that might indicate that a ban does NOT improve public safety.
2) You ally yourselves with PETA and other radical groups. Great way to alienate the 99% of the population that is not completely crazy. For starters, the Pit Bulls Awareness Day symposium on October 24 has aligned itself with PETA. Why not grab an endorsement from ISIS while you are at it?
3) You refuse to acknowledge the connection to the greater dog culture. Look, pit bulls are dogs and thus under the protection of The 10 Commandments. What are you going to do about THAT?
4) You conflate the means with the end. The GOAL should be enhanced public health and safety. Instead, it seems that a pit bull ban has become an end onto itself. ALL dog bites are serious, folks!
5) Focus entirely on a handful of spectacular events, while ignoring or excusing away the overall social harm related to dogs. Being mauled to death has lottery odds. You want to know what the NUMBER ONE page on this site is? This one. Barking is a scourge that destroys the health and quality of life of millions. Nary a peep from the BSL folks... how about we ban the top 5 barkers by breed? What do you think of that?
Enjoy your evening and feel free to comment. I will follow up with articles on all 5 above.